Monday 12 August 2013

Mixed Media Canvas - With a TUTORIAL video - Gabbi

Hi Everyone!  It's me Gabrielle here with you today and I'm so excited to share with you a video on a new mixed media canvas I made using lots of my Dusty Attic Chipboard, some gorgeous Tresors De Luxe laces and lots of just odds and ends from around my house!  I will admit I do not have a lot of mists etc. in my stash so you will see that I used some mists mixed with simple acrylic paints and even a small mister filled with some steeped black tea (a tip from Finn) that I used to give the canvas a vintage look.  Here are some closer looks (Scroll down to view the video).
 
I made the bloom in the corner from some simple satin ribbon!  I will share another tutorial on this in the future.  It's also fun to used household things like bottle caps, loose beads, bits of brass from old jeans and of course little bits of  Dusty Attic chipboard.
 
 I used some stencils and texture paste to create more texture relief on the background of the canvas.  I find the busier you make the embellishments and texture, the better the finished design turns out.

You can really use any color of embellishment when doing one of these style canvas's (blooms can be a color you  have in your stash that you never use!) because you end up covering it all with gesso.

Here I used one of my favorite Dusty Attic Scrolls (Scroll #1) and I layered cheesecloth underneath for extra texture.  I tried to show all the steps in the video without making it crazy long (it's about 20 minutes).....I edited out adding some of the embellies because I think you can only watch me for so long gluing on all the nic-nacs.  So grab yourself a cup of tea (or coffee) and relax and hopefully enjoy my little tutorial! :)

 
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.  I hope this has inspired you to try a mixed media canvas, it's messy but a lot of fun!  Here is a look in a nutshell at all the fun Dusty Attic goodies I used for this canvas...
 
Dusty Attic: Chicken Wire Panel, Scroll Border #1, Cogs #1, Jumbo Cogs, Vintage Keys, Wrought Iron Trim Set, Scalloped Circles, Nuts & Bolts, Dusty In Color (Dusty Pink, Pesto, Hot Chocolate), Hinge (not shown in photo), Dusty Roses (Claret, Caramel).

3 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful and I enjoyed the video. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that is just stunning, amazing what a fantastic canvas. Very talented lady and thanks so much for sharing. I must give this ago....

    ReplyDelete
  3. огромное спасибо за видео! страничка шикарна!!!

    ReplyDelete